![]() |
| Theodorus Peck, 1927?, during Good Times |
Over the decades after Theodorus had died, my
father spoke very little about his own father, hardly at all. It was a door he had nailed shut, never
opened unless a sudden flash of a memory appeared.
The photos of him growing up and changing
into a man showed how he and his siblings handled grief by never allowing
themselves to grieve. The three of them
posed for photos, three wooden soldiers with hands to their sides and awkward
half-smiles pasted on faces. The gray
photos never permitted them to touch each other, to hold on to each other. Their
eyes were still, frozen where grief had met them the day their father did.
“What happened to your pa? Why’d he die?”
Those questions had been asked throughout my
own growing years and answered only with a few words, usually provided by my
mother. So, it was only when grief had
struck my father’s house twice more that my father allowed tears to fall and
feel the bereavement long denied to him.
First, death stole in, when my older brother,
Robert, died at age 46 years with a brain tumor. Then two years later, death returned like a
thief and took a second younger brother, Bill, at age 44 years with blood
poisoning.
My father aged in front of us and finally,
nearly 70 years after Theodorus Peck died, Dad began to talk about his pa.
It
was summer, a hot summer when we sat out on the back yard and listened to the
night crickets start their songs. Still
dusky light slanted over the porch roof and bathed us in silver, black and
white. The porch seemed to take a deep breath as a silence settled over us,
heavy and filled with long held sorrow.
Mom’s hand snaked through Dad’s arm and interlaced his silver fingers
with hers.
“My
pa....” Dad began, and then paused, searching for words that were choked back
before he could speak them. Finally, he
spoke, his voice a stranger’s voice.
“The night he died, my sister and I were upstairs in my Grandma Peck’s
house. The phone rang and I looked at
her and said, “Sis, Pa’s dead. They’re
calling to tell us that he’s dead.”
"She didn’t believe me, but I knew
it as sure as I knew what day it was. I
heard Grandma say that they’d wait to tell us the news in the morning.” Dad raised his head, his strong angular face
lit with moonbeams, and we could see a slow snail trail of tears.
Mom’s
hand squeezed his, as he continued to speak in that stranger’s voice. “I got up as soon as it was light, went out
to the back porch to watch the sun come up.
Pa’s work boots were there, where he had taken them off not two days
ago. I lifted them up, smelling Pa’s
smell on them yet. A piece of mud, dried
in the sole’s instep, fell into my hand.
When he last wore those boots, the mud was soft.” Dad’s head ducked down into the black night
as he continued. “I wrapped that piece
of mud up in a handkerchief and ran home with it. I kept it in my drawer for years....” And the story ended.
Memories
folded up in that handkerchief and drawer slowly crept out over time. Not big memories, but ones speaking about the
loneliness of a ten-year old boy trying to harvest the corn field by
himself. Such loneliness and despair
swallowed up his youth. And when his
sons died, something had to break free.
My father slowly released parts of his grief
over the remaining years of his life, but I know that when he closed his eyes
at night, the images of his pa and two sons were the last to leave when sleep
came.
![]() |
| My father in about 1944 |





I love this. I have been incredibly fortunate to have my parents with me -- they're now in their 70s. But, I know plenty of people who have lost either parents or children. It still amazes me how some people will allow their grief to stop their lives and others plunge through it.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!!
Moving....and insightful x
ReplyDeletewow, i felt like i was right there in the conversation and history. love the photos!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a heart-string pulling post. And fabulous pictures!
ReplyDeleteSarah Allen
(From Sarah With Joy)
Very touching post! I'm glad your Dad was finally able to talk about his own father's death. I'm sure that gave him a great deal of peace.
ReplyDeleteIt's good that your father was finally able to talk about it. For some reason, it's easy for us to remember that sharing joys can multiply them, but we often forget that sharing sorrows can lessen them.
ReplyDeleteIt is so incredibly hard to lose a parent. My father passed when my mom was expecting me, and I never knew him, and even then it took me many years into my adult life to come to grips w/the grief of his passing.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your father found a way to grieve eventually for his father and his sons. Thanks for sharing, take care
ReplyDeletex
Susan, you lost two brothers? I am so sorry. I can't imagine the pain you have felt. Ido like to hear you tell your stories. Will you tell how your dad's dad died?
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you have lost two of your brothers. So very young. I love all of your family photos. I am glad your Dad finally talked though. How important for him and for you.
ReplyDeleteA few days ago you asked if my son Ben, had been a handful? Yes, he was!! He kept me jumping. He is a wonderful man now.
Now thank you so much for wanting to read my story today. I was so tired I was having a hard time making sense. I am so glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you so much for coming by today.
I love personal history and I love your stories, because in your stories of your family, I see such bravery.
So poignant and beautifully written. Evokes so much emotion. I can't imagine losing a parent and dread the day it will happen, but for a parent to outlive their child is too heartbreaking. Bad enough to lose one, but then another? I have friends who have lost their children, and I can't fathom how they've managed to go on. But they do. Losing a sibling must be so hard, too. It's something I try not to think about, but as we continue adding candles to our birthday cakes, well, it will become a reality sometime. Reading pieces like yours make me realize every day we have those loved ones with us is another gift to be thankful for.
ReplyDeleteYou have a knack for poetic prose and really intense imagery that makes the emotions of your pieces that much more poignant. Really intense, but so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteDear Susan, this story of your father and the pain and memory and grief that he carried within not only his heart but his whole body for the rest of his life is a tribute to his resilience and fortitude and great love for his father and his two sons. Truly he was a fine human being whose life speaks volumes about the human condition. Peace.
ReplyDelete