Saturday, February 2, 2013

And then...


Happiness and Ever After should be a requisite in unexpected love stories.

After Amy’s family forgave her, throwing a big reception for the wedded couple, things settled down.  Theodorus informed his family about the wedding, and they were thrilled.  A little shocked perhaps, but thrilled. 

Amy in her modern traveling suit

His parents set about building a new house on a portion of farm land they deeded to Theodorus and Amy.  For Amy, this was beyond her hopes.  Living in a town or city in a shared bedroom with her two sisters and supporting the family had been her future.  And now, Amy would have her own home, her own husband, and even farm land.

Theodorus traveled ahead of Amy, kissing her good-bye passionately at the train station in Detroit.  “Soon!” was the word they whispered.

He arrived and inspected the progress.  Like Amy, a house of his own had also been beyond his hopes.  He sent a telegraph, and she arrived within days.

Theodorus with Helen

That was 1919.  In 1920, a daughter Dorus Helen was born to them.  Life was wonderful.  Theodorus was president of the town’s bank; his parents were prosperous with ever increasing farm land.  In 1922, my father Louis Edmund was born.  In 1925, William was born. 

Helen and Louis "Bud"

Smiles on my grandmother’s face in old photos say everything:  Life is wonderful, Love is wonderful…

son Louis, Amy Peck, her mother-in-law Laura Peck, and  Theodorus with their new car

The Stock Market Crash of 1929 punctured the big balloon.  The bank was closed and land had to be sold.  But, still, Theodorus and Amy were together.


And, then…I hate those words.

Theodorus had never been a robust man like his two brothers.  Over the next two years, he began to grow more fragile.  He lived in constant pain, on aspirins.  Amy worried over him.  She unpacked her boxes of medical books and sought answers. 

In 1932, his doctor decided that Theodorus had to be admitted into a hospital. 

People seldom went to hospitals in a rural area.  Those who were admitted were suffering from serious life threatening issues.  This usually resulted in death.  Which is what happened.

Theodorus was taken by ambulance to a hospital over sixty miles away.  After his admission, plans were made for surgery, as a kidney tumor was suspected.  The night before the surgery, while Amy sat at his bedside, Theodorus suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.  Death came quickly.

Amy L. Peck as a widow

Amy was about 40 years old, and the only love of her life was buried.  The next decade for Amy and her three children would be harsh.   

35 comments:

  1. Susan, how wonderful, how sad. At 53 I feel almost despearte about recording more of my own family history. I plug away at it. This little window into yours was amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rough story. I think the most popular love stories in literature are usually kind of sad though.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susan. This is amazing. I love histories and old photos. 'Life is wonderful, Love is wonderful…and then...' So many similar stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sad. I guess every generation has had its share of pain. Very sad, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stories of "love", both happy ans sad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These stories are gems. Sad, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad. I can't imagine how hard that would be. It was wonderful how you weaved the story while incorporated pictures. I really enjoyed this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe that is so sad. I love that you're sharing your family history, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Susan, as Lee said, "This is a rough story." And I am so glad that you are sharing it with us and that your grandmother Amy is not being forgotten. She is remembered and cherished in your words. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't read the previous posts, but you sucked me straight into the story here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so sad. But the pictures of her as a child are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree - great pictures!

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sad...but photo 4 did make me smile........widely

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful I want to read on...but so sad it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. endearing tale...can't wait to hear the rest, susan!! loving the photos. newest follower to your awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To all who have been touched by this post:
    True life stories can never be equaled by fiction. Life is lovely and raw, glorious and painful. Life has happiness and sadness.

    My next post will continue the story of Lewis and Marie Cardiff, following their marriage in 1919.

    Thank you each one for your comments! More is to come, happy and/or sad! Susan Kane

    ReplyDelete
  17. :-(

    Thank you for sharing such a heart-rending story. Amy and Theodore were true soulmates and you are so right. Real love stories should have happy endings. Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heartbreaking. Well written though, you sucked me right in.

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  19. Things were so different back then. Sure gives one pause reading your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sad and yet the pictures are so beautiful. It's amazing how time continues to pass regardless of events that make us stop momentarily.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww...those photos show such a happy family. What a shame about Theodorus though. Nowadays the doctors would probably have caught the tumor in time :-(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks to many new visitors!! A new post will be up soon, where Lewis and Marie's love story continues.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely...and tragic. The perfect mix.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A Non-fiction love story with photos. Wow, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I live on the prairie and almost everyone I know has a story just like this one...if they take the time to know their roots. That's the rub, yes? You have to TAKE THE TIME. Really enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lucky you are, to own a bit of your history safely within your mind. I envy that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow. That's tragic. And in that time period, I can hardly imagine.


    Sonia Lal

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a heart wrenching story. Thank you for sharing it with me. And the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a sad story! I enjoyed this post very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, I am only just getting around to seeing this post. What a tragic end to this part of the story. Love the old photos, though - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Crikey your story really hits deep.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow. That is a heavy story. She was only 40 yrs old and lost her soulmate.

    ReplyDelete
  33. OH MY GOODNESS, I've got to come back and read all of these when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a sad story. Your writing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are important to me as a writer!