Cold Run Creek
What is this? Are these segments fiction? Did you make up all this? What are you going with this? Is there more following? So many questions, so here is a scanty explanation.
When I visited my parents back “home” until my father’s death in 2005 and mother’s in 2011, we always did these few traditional actions, without fail. I had a sense that these were essential rites that we absolutely must do.
We always went to Pam's Cafe, and ate catfish or buffalo carp “fritters”, deep-fat fried, served with two slices of white bread, a big slice of strong onion, and cocktail sauce at Pam’s, the best and only restaurant in their town. Dad always had a cup of the blackest coffee I had ever seen at that time.
The waitress, usually a wild exotic teenager who grew up to be a worn-out waitress--Wanda? Betty?, brought refills of coffee by. She never asked if my father wanted a refill; he would tap the cup on the saucer to let her know.
My folks always sat in the same corner table that gave them the best view of the front door. That way they would know who came or left, and then they would tell stories about them to me. Oh, those stories. What these old wrinkled people who walked through those doors had done with their lives could make a sailor blush.
Spring Creek Bridge
We always went across the “new” Missouri-Illinois Pike Bridge that spanned the Mississippi River (The River)to drive up Hwy. 79 in Mih-zer-uh (Missouri).
The bridge was built in the early 1920's and opened up for traffic with a Gala Potluck. He was only six years old and had to pee. Badly. "Ma" told him to pee over there on the slope next to a tree.
Well, then. He was in his best clothes--knee pants, high socks, seersucker jacket--and just as he was getting his business done, he slipped on the long grass, sliding down the slope into the mud. That is all he told me about that.
We would drive up and around that road until we came to the places to stop—could stand there and look down The River and its spots of little islands. Each stop gave us a new love for The River.
Gazing out at Mississippi River from Missouri side
The most interesting things about these places are that I did not know 97% of its occupants, and I really didn’t care. My folks would walk around looking at headstones, talked about what those people did in life, and my father would speculate whether or not if they made it to Heaven.
His staunch opinion was they did not. In fact, my father generally believed that most of the people he knew were damned to hell.
Every cemetery in our county was decked out for Memorial and Veterans' Days. The flags above wave in Crescent Heights Cemetery, Pleasant Hill, Illinois.
Nebo Cemetery became interesting to me when two of my brothers were buried there in 1997 and 1999. I would go by myself in my rental car to place silk flowers at their graves, talk with them a bit, and look around the corn fields, at the rusted abandoned train tracks, and try to remember the town as it was in my childhood.
Now, I cull volumes of photos of those visits and relive it all with stories my folks told me. Connecting those memories with faces, and reading letters not meant for my eyes have connected me with a totally different world one hundred years ago.
***My mother and grandmother told me stories about their lives, when I was a grown up.




Strange how our memories wander. I seldom see it now, but when I see a boy standing on the back of a tricycle with a little girl pedaling, my mind goes to Shelby and my earliest of a 'hainted church' we went by. ;-)
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the journey
Sherry & jack
I figured a country boy would have seen some of the events that happened in his own life.
DeleteHow lucky you are. You learned about who you came from. It was a great gift your parents gave you.
ReplyDeleteIt truly is a gift. Learning about the family way back in the 1820s is incredible.
DeleteIt's nice to have an outlet to write all of this down.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter set up the blog for me, said it would be a good outlet for my writing.
DeleteI used to enjoy wandering cemeteries. After Bobby G became a resident, I lost my taste for death.
ReplyDeleteBobby G? Now you got me wandering to find references to Bobby G.
DeleteYou won't. Fellow blogger who became a best buddy and died last summer- no, 2 summers ago- right after Scrappy.
DeleteI am sorry to hear that. A blogger friend is often dearer than some people we know.
DeleteIt is a gift to visit places your family knew. This brought back memories of the time my husband and I accompanied my mother in law to Gate of Heaven Cemetery near where my husband was born, and helping her put flowers on her family graves on Memorial Day. Now, more of them are buried there. I'm sorry to know that two brothers predeceased you. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteOnce my family passed away back in the Midwest, there was no family in the area who will come and place flowers. I wish that were not so.
DeleteI've still got friends back in my hometown area, but since my aunt died ten years (or so) ago, rarely get back. So many memories around every corner.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful blog
ReplyDeleteNice your post
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a tiny town that didn't have a red light, so your stories feel as nourishing to my soul as meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
ReplyDeleteUma evocação do passado que é, também, a evocação de uma vida.
ReplyDeleteAbraço amigo.
Juvenal Nunes
Sometimes it is so comforting to think back to times gone by.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.
ReplyDeleteSLOT ONLINE_ស្លត់អនឡាញ
Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Yes I can say I've got stories from my parents way back about my grand parents as it happens. Grand dad who used to run a business in the 40's was always ever so friendly to the customers but Grandma used to watch him with a critical eye. You'll bankrupt us she'd yell at him and grab the broom and push him out of the store. Everything in those days see had to be weighed out by hand and put into a paper bag or wrapped, i guess but it's funny the way mom tells it. He just grabs an extra fist of sweets or whatever and the customer always came back!
ReplyDeletelovely post
ReplyDeleteYou are a gifted writer and I enjoyed your post. You have a way of going around corners and surprising:) Thank you for your comments on my blog.
ReplyDeleteI share this testimony with partners who are suffering in their relationship because there is a lasting solution. My husband left me and two children for another woman for 3 years. I tried to be strong only for my children, but I could not cope with the pain that tormented my heart. I was hurt and confused. I needed help, so I did a little research on the internet and came across a site where I saw that Dr. Ediomo, a spellcaster, can help bring lovers back. I contacted her and she made a special prayer and spell for me. To my surprise, after 2 days my husband returned home. So we were reunited, and there was a lot of love, joy and peace in the family. You can also contact Dr. Ediomo, a powerful decision maker
ReplyDelete1) get your ex boyfriend back
2) Gather the husband or wife together
3) If you have nightmares
4) Cure for HIV and Cancer
5) Powerful magic ring
6) Talisman for good luck
7) Overcome obsession
8) Problems with childbirth and pregnancy. Contact E-MAIL: drediomo77@gmail.com.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful post, I want to share a testimony on how Dr itua healing herbs cure me.
The worst time has passed”However, it is true that there are more improvements than before...because of the rising numbers of people living with HIV in the state of Nevada. How could they stigmatize all of them? Therefore everything becomes a little easier and we start to share everything... We also started to invite and visit each other in a community. You know, it is six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs...Yet whatever problems I face, the worst time has passed
When I was evicted from the family home by my mother, my father rented a small room for me. But my mother and brothers believed that having HIV was my own fault – and that I deserved to be punished...I also considered myself unworthy and without hope... But I have a child and eventually I convinced myself to live for my child’s sake.
My mother knew nothing [about HIV]. She didn’t understand anything. Do you know why? She didn’t have [the chance] to go out of the house and communicate with society. However, my father does interact with the community. I know his friends are mature and dignified in africa america. So he has a better understanding than her.
My father came call me on a sadfull day sitting on my couch about a friend of his from africa who introduce him to Dr Itua herbal cure in africa in which he advise we should purchase his herbal medicine to cure my hiv so we did and Dr Itua prescribed I should drink the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure although we were so curious about the whole thing ,I finished the herbal medicine like he advised then he talked to me to visit my nearest clinic for check up I did and now I'm totally cured from Hiv my father was my rock and I and my family are now happy together also Dr Itua has be helpful in my community ever since he cure my Hiv and my tinnitus so why I'm leaving my story on here today is to reach out someone out here to hope on God and never give up no matter the situation you that you are facing especially through this pandemic seasons which has really taught us all on how we should be helpful to each other and cherish one another.
Dr Itua cures the following diseases..... Herpes,Liver cancer,Throat cancerLeukemia. ,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.
Intestinal cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Bladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Tinnitus,Vulvar cancer,
Testicular cancer ,Thyroid Cancer.
You can contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com .www.drituaherbalcenter.com.
Nice post
ReplyDeletehttps://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/06/two-piece-black-maxi-dress-with-outer-cape.html
wow this is heartwarming post dear Susan !!!
ReplyDeleteloved the story of reunion to your family :)
all the family reunions sounds similar when you mention how they would tell you about people they knew for long and shared personal opinion about them :)
so much fun indeed .
so good i could visit here
Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories of your family. Very special indeed :)
ReplyDeleteLove ya! Sherry is the big cemetery Gal. Enjoyed the history of your family. I think I am too shot to shoot! LOL
ReplyDeleteThis is such a striking and reflective observation. 🕊️
ReplyDeleteI love how you capture the contrast between your own indifference and your parents’ thoughtful engagement with the headstones. It really paints a vivid picture of their curiosity and reverence — talking about lives lived and even contemplating their place in Heaven adds a profound, almost meditative layer to a visit to a cemetery.
Your words highlight how perspective shapes experience: what may seem ordinary or distant to one person can be deeply meaningful to another. Thoughtful and evocative storytelling!
https://nanajee.com/2024/01/03/top-7-scenic-road-trip-to-embark-on-with-a-rental-car/