Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Hidden Secret

 

In Preacher’s Creek 

Secret in the Barn        S.E.Kane        May 8, 2014 


It was a story that begged the telling, but could not bear to be spoken.  Yet, seventy years after it came to pass, it was time.  It was released and so was the teller. 

 

They were old women now, the both of them, sitting at the kitchen table with coffee and pieces of apple pie.  Louise was the maker of the pie, it was her house, and it was her kitchen.  Her older sister Grace suddenly shrank into something heavy from within.  “Girl, I gotta tell you something.  Something that happened to me, and I must tell someone before I die.” 

 

Louise was stunned.  Grace was never a keeper of secrets, but this one weighed heavily upon her.  Louise leaned toward Grace, placing one old veined hand over another’s old veined hand.  Grace squeezed it and looked into Louise’s eyes, as her own eyes streamed quiet tears. 

 

“You went off with Ma to Quincy to buy new shoes, and she dropped me off at Uncle Lew’s house.  She said I could play with snotty cousin Velma while you all went off.” 

 

She paused and blew her nose into a hanky. 

 

“Well, me and Velma were playing in the barn when her three older brothers showed up.  Lyndle was holding a stick and a bread wrapper.  Velma giggled and said that we were gonna do something fun, really fun! 

 

“The brothers made me stretch out on the barn floor with Harold and Melvin holding my arms down.  Whatcha you doing?  Whatcha you doing?  I got real scared.   

 

“Lyndle grabbed my legs, spread ‘em wide apart, so Velma could kneel between ‘em.  Then Velma…” Grace gulped back tears, her voice turning ragged.  “Velma put the stick into the bag wrapper, and she told me this was gonna be real fun, ‘cause she’d seen her ma and pa do this all the time. 

 

“Velma put that stick in my woman parts.  She gave me a big grin.  Then she shoved it all the way in.  I screamed and screamed and screamed.  Aunt Lydia opened the kitchen door with a dish rag in her hand and she called out What you kids doing out there?  Come outta that barn! 

 

“The boys ran off as Velma pulled the stick out of my woman parts.  The bread wrapper was all bloody, and Velma turned white.  She said You wipe yourself off and go on home, now!  She threw a dirty rag at me, and ran to the horse trough to wash off. 

 

“I put that rag in my old bloomers and tucked it up as tight as I could.  Then I ran home.  ‘Member our old house, just down the road from Aunt Lydia’s house?  Well, I barely got there, I was so weak.  Ran up the stairs and filled the tub with water.  I soaked in it, and it turned pink.  Emptied the water, poured more water, emptied it, until the bath tub water was clean.” 

 

Louise was silent, the front of her apron wet with tears and her eyes opened wide.  OhGraceohGrace…. With hands over her mouth, Louise shook her head.  No..no..no..no 

 

“I knew where Ma kept the pads for that time of the month and I put one on.  Took my bloody clothes out to the pump, rubbed them and rubbed them.  They would come clean.  So, took ‘em down to the creek and threw it all in the muddy water.  They rolled down the creek with the mud covering the blood. 

 

“When you and Ma come back, I told her I was bleeding, it was my time of the month for the first time.  She was happy, called me her my big girl.  I never told her, never told anyone ‘til now. 

 

“Something was tore inside, but it musta healed.  But that’s why I never had babies.  The doctor told me that the tear got infected and ruined my uterus. Ernest was just as happy, since he was a selfish son of a bitch who drank more than he did anything else. 

 

“So, that’s it.  That’s what I had ta tell you.”  Grace cleared the table, while Louise couldn’t move, couldn’t speak.  “I’ll do the dishes, you just go rest now.  You look darn tired.”  She paused and looked out the kitchen window.  “Looks like we got a storm coming.  Want me to bring in the laundry?”  And without waiting for an answer, Grace picked up the clothesbasket, going outside to bring in the underwear. 

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. That story took my breath away and I don’t want this story to be true. However, I know things like this happen every day to little girls all over the world and those secrets are never told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt experienced this horror. She ended up having a total hysterectomy. No one knew this until she was an adult, after her ma was gone.

      Delete
  2. Heartbreaking. And how very sad that you knew someone that had to endure this obscenity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt kept it all to herself. She hated the cousins and their father. Couldn't have babies and that would have been depressing.

      Delete
  3. I hope that at sometime she found some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! That's some disturbing story!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I was almost 60 when I learned of this.

      Delete
  5. To never have babies because of this, is so very sad. My ex-sister-in-law (and still very best friend) is always so suspicious of people and used to warm me years ago not to leave my kids with anyone, not even people I trust. I always listened to her (except my mom and gram, I knew they could be trusted and they could!), but felt she was paranoid. Many years later, she told me about a terrible thing in her family. Something you would never expect, and that resulted in one of her family members never being able to have kids either. :( Tragedy is always awful, but it just seems worse when it's family doing it to family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there is a special judgment for anyone who destroyed someone's future, esp. by this horror.

      Delete
  6. I wish I'd read these stories in the proper order, so they would end on a happy note. I feel absolutely terrible for what your dear aunt went through. I can't even imagine the long-lasting emotional damage from this horrific experience, combined with the physical damage resulting in her inability to have children. It's more than anyone should ever have to bear. Your aunt sounds like a very selfless and courageous woman. Thanks for sharing this powerful story.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt was selfless and tough. She taught in a one room schoolhouse in the 1940s.
      This is a story that has weighed on my heart.

      Delete
  7. This is a horror. And probably not a unique story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Women throughout history have been vulnerable and it took a lot of courage to shoulder on.

      Delete
  8. This is a horrifying story, all the more so because it reflects the truth for so many females all over the world, but the way in which you told it is masterful. I can feel the woman's pain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful post, I want to share a testimony on how Dr itua healing herbs cure me.
    The worst time has passed”However, it is true that there are more improvements than before...because of the rising numbers of people living with HIV in the state of Nevada. How could they stigmatize all of them? Therefore everything becomes a little easier and we start to share everything... We also started to invite and visit each other in a community. You know, it is six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs...Yet whatever problems I face, the worst time has passed
    When I was evicted from the family home by my mother, my father rented a small room for me. But my mother and brothers believed that having HIV was my own fault – and that I deserved to be punished...I also considered myself unworthy and without hope... But I have a child and eventually I convinced myself to live for my child’s sake.
    My mother knew nothing [about HIV]. She didn’t understand anything. Do you know why? She didn’t have [the chance] to go out of the house and communicate with society. However, my father does interact with the community. I know his friends are mature and dignified in africa america. So he has a better understanding than her.
    My father came call me on a sadfull day sitting on my couch about a friend of his from africa who introduce him to Dr Itua herbal cure in africa in which he advise we should purchase his herbal medicine to cure my hiv so we did and Dr Itua prescribed I should drink the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure although we were so curious about the whole thing ,I finished the herbal medicine like he advised then he talked to me to visit my nearest clinic for check up I did and now I'm totally cured from Hiv my father was my rock and I and my family are now happy together also Dr Itua has be helpful in my community ever since he cure my Hiv and my tinnitus so why I'm leaving my story on here today is to reach out someone out here to hope on God and never give up no matter the situation you that you are facing especially through this pandemic seasons which has really taught us all on how we should be helpful to each other and cherish one another.
    Dr Itua cures the following diseases..... Herpes,Liver cancer,Throat cancerLeukemia. ,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Bladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Tinnitus,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer ,Thyroid Cancer.
    You can contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are important to me as a writer!