Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Timelessness


The thing about childhood is its timelessness. One day it is the birthday. Next week it will be Christmas and a few days later it will be Halloween. Easter? Just after midnight. All this was a child’s life until a Big Yellow Bus pulled up and the once-little children marched up the steps, lunchboxes in hand. Realism flattened them with a brutal calendar, ruling a child's life.

Somewhere shuffled in there was summer vacation, Oh, Thank you, Dear Lord! Summer vacation opened a world that had always existed but never had been recognized in our own child world, wedged in between Easter and maybe Valentine’s Day. But now, the power of bikes and open streets called. I have missed you so much. Come, join me. Spin your wheels. Have band aids at the ready.

We were not yet part of the Big Yellow Bus crew. No, the calendar deemed that we were too young. Someday we would have lunchboxes and climb up the steps to the glory of education. But for now, we could just gaze at a future, hands clutched on handlebars.

We watched our brother Don as he tore out onto the street with other nine-year-old boys. They laughed while my brother Robert and I stood by his trike in the grass until all that could hear was their laughter and crickets. Riding a trike along narrow sidewalks held so little joy that our faces dropped down to our feet and dragged on the grass. So, we pedaled along the sidewalks with Robert taking on the pedals, long strong legs while I stood on the back with my skinny girl legs

Maintenance repairs were on the calendar, the all-knowing calendar which said that those streets needed some work, coated with hot black tar. The bikers would be grounded just like the rest of us with trikes. The big boys ran off to play in the creek, enjoying freedom of nine-year-old. Our faces drooped.

While the trucks sprayed the new gravel on the streets, Robert and I lay in the grass listening to workers swear, watching them smoke. At least they were happy in a greasy black tar world. We instead scratched at mosquito bites and chewed on peanut butter sandwiches held by our grimy hands.

Next day, it was stinkin’ hot. That’s what Mom always said when it was hot like this: It’s stinkin’ hot. When it was that bad, plants fried, and black tar bubbled in puddles on the road. What Mom had to say about that was a stream of instructions and threats about our future existence if we disobeyed and charged into the black tar on the road.

We nodded with solemn faces. Of course. We wouldn’t go near the black tar. Shoot, that would be crazy. When Mom sensed our level of obedience would be nearly complete, she stood up and away, returning to whatever she normally did. We took off as fast as Robert’s legs could pedal, over stretches of uneven sidewalk and through still stinkin’ hot air.

Our zeal hit a full stop when it was clear the length of our adventure was about 100 feet. Being stinkin’ hot, Robert’s five-year-old legs and my four-year-old strength gave out and no adventures could be had. And this is where everything gave out and a new decision had to be made. This is sad part of my memory when we concluded that something new and exciting needed to occur.

It did as we pulled up by the Christian Church where a wedding had just occurred. All the congregation had headed to the schoolhouse where a reception was set up in the cafeteria. How were we to know the photos and photo opportunities were capturing the joy of walking down the church steps and through the fluffy bridesmaids’ gauntlet. It was ignorance on our part, never having been to a wedding and seeing tradition play out before us.

I sensed vibration filling Robert when he had a miraculous and an inspired idea. He did a U-turn, trike lined up at the wedding party. Oh, Robert!  Mom said, we can’t, we shouldn’t…But we took the jump, and made a decision.

 He geared up some strength and veered into puddle of bubbling tar, tires picking up as much of it as possible. Robert swerved left, heading straight for the gauntlet of pink chiffon dresses and rented tuxedos. Before they perceived any threat, Robert tore through the line of pink ladies, who were now screaming.

The hot tar sprayed off the wheels, splattering hot tar on the field of fluffy dresses and black tuxes. I can still hear the screams and the words that flowed from the tuxes-up men. They had a large vocabulary. While the air was filled with anger and dismay, we took off.

Adrenaline filled us both as we disappeared behind Lena Foote’s house and through the thick bushes separating Lens’ garden from Mom’s.  Robert was so fast, and I squeezed his shoulders, giggling in his ear. The screams and profanity grew fainter as Robert swung the trike into Dad’s old car shed, stopping it with sheer ease.  This is where good decisions had to be made.
 
Robert had a hiding spot he used frequently, and we crawled into it, waiting for police sirens to visit the wedding party. The volume of the screams lessened until it stopped. Dead silent. That was when we examined our clothing to see just how badly we had been sprayed ourselves.  Nothing, nothing at all. We were pure, sinless and safe.

Still fearing a reaction for our parents, we casually wandered through the kitchen door and headed to the bathroom to wash up. Again, we saw no evidence of our carnage. Instead we held our breaths, anticipating police to storm through the house and grab us by the scruffs of our clothes. Nothing. We sauntered back out the door and rejoiced, laughing.

Our folks never knew about this.

It was not until some 30+ years later that we told them about this event, this glorious event. What? We never heard anything about this. Are you serious? Yes, why yes, we were. I could even show them where the tar streaks still crossed diagonally over the sidewalk. God is good. He always provides.






21 comments:

  1. Great story, Susan. I enjoyed every word of it and tried to remember a time when excitement and adventure was only a bike ride away. Childhood was lovely years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wandered allll over the town. We were 4 or 5 years old, but youth did not stop us.

      Delete
  2. My older brothers tarred the youngest from head to toe - so that he could play little Black Sambo in the school play better. The older brothers had fun, but also paid the consequences. The youngest brother was scrubbed red raw, and carried tar tinges for quite some time.
    I can just see the bridal party's consternation (and hear those muffled giggles from the destructo pair).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They shrieked, loudly. It was a good moment that had potential to go sour.

      Delete
  3. I always got caught. Life is not fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got caught also. That makes this slice of time memorable: we didn't get caught.

      Delete
  4. I am smiling, you can put into words things I remember. Even my girl remembers when they tarred the roads on her mill hill. As I think of the many stories that came from those newly tarred roads. I even have one.
    BUT you did a great job or putting it in words from a good memory. Loved it.
    Sherry & jack, yep still in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they tar roads once a year or only now and then?

      I am so glad to hear that this country girl can spin a yarn.

      Delete
  5. That was a magical account. I could see, hear, and feel it all just as though it were my own memory.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great experience, one that can never be replicated.

      Delete
  6. Well, before you became felons, my thought was about the yellow bus crew, and how when I was little, my nephew (around your age in the story) used to watch our bus go by with an empty lunch box in one hand and an encyclopedia in the other...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when kids used to love school! Now they love the first week and that's about it, lol. We used to run all over town too. I remember my friends and I going places my mom never knew about (the roof of the church, in an apartment building, to the school to play 'school' on the fire escape...really hitting a payday in the summer when we saw tons of school pictures in the garbage. That made it easy for us to 'teach' school too. Kids are fun. And easy to make happy. I could sense that feeling you get when you're hiding and waiting. I remember that feeling... it's been a long time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Write that memory out. Picture it in your mind and tie all the sensory images you can pull out of your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a fun story! I love that you and your brothers managed to get away without telling your parents until you were in your 30s. I would've broken down after one look from my mom.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had learned that saying nothing was the best thing to do. It saddens me a little that the sidewalk is cracked and broken.

      Delete
  10. I bet the wedding party laughed over that in later years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would become a story that can be part of their family.

      Delete
  11. What a great memory! I betcha the folks from that wedding party still talk about it from time to time... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. We poured a lot of energy into that one.

      Delete
  12. Such a beautiful post, I want to share a testimony on how Dr itua healing herbs cure me.
    The worst time has passed”However, it is true that there are more improvements than before...because of the rising numbers of people living with HIV in the state of Nevada. How could they stigmatize all of them? Therefore everything becomes a little easier and we start to share everything... We also started to invite and visit each other in a community. You know, it is six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs...Yet whatever problems I face, the worst time has passed
    When I was evicted from the family home by my mother, my father rented a small room for me. But my mother and brothers believed that having HIV was my own fault – and that I deserved to be punished...I also considered myself unworthy and without hope... But I have a child and eventually I convinced myself to live for my child’s sake.
    My mother knew nothing [about HIV]. She didn’t understand anything. Do you know why? She didn’t have [the chance] to go out of the house and communicate with society. However, my father does interact with the community. I know his friends are mature and dignified in africa america. So he has a better understanding than her.
    My father came call me on a sadfull day sitting on my couch about a friend of his from africa who introduce him to Dr Itua herbal cure in africa in which he advise we should purchase his herbal medicine to cure my hiv so we did and Dr Itua prescribed I should drink the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure although we were so curious about the whole thing ,I finished the herbal medicine like he advised then he talked to me to visit my nearest clinic for check up I did and now I'm totally cured from Hiv my father was my rock and I and my family are now happy together also Dr Itua has be helpful in my community ever since he cure my Hiv and my tinnitus so why I'm leaving my story on here today is to reach out someone out here to hope on God and never give up no matter the situation you that you are facing especially through this pandemic seasons which has really taught us all on how we should be helpful to each other and cherish one another.
    Dr Itua cures the following diseases..... Herpes,Liver cancer,Throat cancerLeukemia. ,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Bladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Tinnitus,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer ,Thyroid Cancer.
    You can contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are important to me as a writer!