Love stories are not as unique as we like to believe.
Of course, when I was falling in love with my
future husband, it was the love of the century.
The stuff of books, legends, and movies-- that was what we had.
It is only now in the present that I find myself looking
back at the grand love affairs that led to my existence. In looking at my mother and father, their
respective parents, and back for generations, one will find a man and woman whose eyes spoke of longing and desire. Then they fell in love.
My mother’s parents were Lewis and Marie Cardiff. Their love was always clear to me in the way
he patted her behind as she walked by him, even when they were in their senior
years. It was the way she giggled when
he did that, blushing a little. They
held hands at the table. Love.
| My grandfather was the source of Ellen Jo Carter's Grandpa Sam Parker. |
They met near Grandpa’s childhood home, right after WW1.
Grandpa had experienced the worst of the war, the most horrible carnage, unimaginable to those at home. As a skilled hunter and sharp shooter, Grandpa Cardiff (his father called him "Sam", and another farmer like himself were assigned to scout behind enemy lines.
They were on the run, sleeping in barns and ditches, and making their way back to deliver information about the enemy troops.
The things he saw, the things he had to do scarred him forever. Shortly before he died, Grandpa told my brother some of those things. Horrible things he witnessed the Germans, taking a baby, bayoneting it. and tossing up to be speared by another soldier.
The major battles
Grandpa had experienced the worst of the war, the most horrible carnage, unimaginable to those at home. As a skilled hunter and sharp shooter, Grandpa Cardiff (his father called him "Sam", and another farmer like himself were assigned to scout behind enemy lines.
They were on the run, sleeping in barns and ditches, and making their way back to deliver information about the enemy troops.
The things he saw, the things he had to do scarred him forever. Shortly before he died, Grandpa told my brother some of those things. Horrible things he witnessed the Germans, taking a baby, bayoneting it. and tossing up to be speared by another soldier.
The major battles
He returned home a battered soul who just wanted peace. He got a job collecting milk for the local
dairy company. Along long stretches of
quiet green pastures, Grandpa guided the horse-pulled wagon, and collected the
milk cans that farmers set out for him early in the morning.
A young woman had observed that lonely journey day after
day. Working as a serving girl for a large farm family far from her own parents, Marie was homesick and watched the world go by from the kitchen window.
Barely 18 then, Grandma decided that she needed to be on that road just when he went by. They waved at each other for days. Then he stopped and talked for a few minutes.
Barely 18 then, Grandma decided that she needed to be on that road just when he went by. They waved at each other for days. Then he stopped and talked for a few minutes.
Over a period of weeks, they learned about each other
through the spoken and unspoken language of love, always respectfully. Lewis was, after all, ten years older than Marie. One evening after supper, Grandpa showed up
at the house where Grandma was a serving girl.
She went out onto the porch behind the kitchen where he waited, hat in
hand.
He scooped her up in his arms, their eyes meeting. Grandpa said, “Marie, I want you to be my girl forever.”
| My grandfather was a farmer before and after WW1. He suffered lung damage from the toxic gas used in war. |
That was it. The next
day or so, Grandma packed up and went off with Grandpa. They were married in a simple
straight-forward ceremony. Grandpa had
$100 from his army discharge. With it,
they bought a bed, a plow, and a sewing machine.
![]() |
| This was my grandparents' home. Ellen Jo will visit here as she grows. |
A love affair to remember?
Like Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr?
You betcha. As for the other side
of the family, you will have to come back to hear about them.


Oh! I love it!!! Real romance tales are my fav. And the touch of history you threw is magical. 100bucks for a bed a plow and sewing machine. Can you imagine?
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible story! My heart is all fluttery :)
ReplyDeleteSarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)
Beautiful story Susan. Too often we all have these stories but don't take the time to write them all down. Good for you
ReplyDeletePS I got some soap with your name on it over here in Central Illinois. Just email me at opies99@gmail.com :)
Hi, Susan, What a beautiful love story. We have some stories similar to that in my family background. I am the only one left in my family now to tell them. Some of them I have written in the past on my blog. Been blogging for four years now. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting me and reading my tale of fiction. Ruby aka Grammy
What a delightful account and I love the photos.
ReplyDeleteHi Susan .. what a great family story here .. sounds wonderful, though I bet life was hard, yet even then everyone made the best of everything .. this is quite delightful. The pictures just enhanced it so much - love it ..
ReplyDeleteCheers Hilary
Aw, that's such a sweet story. Timing is a lot of life, and of love.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. The pictures are lovely.
Wonderful story, so beautifully told.
ReplyDeleteThanks you for sharing all this, and for visiting Bear's blog.
That's a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing. :)
ReplyDeletehave an interesting space, a great pleasure to read you.
ReplyDeleteif you like the poetry I invite you to my space.
happy day.
a greeting.
a real love story--just beautiful
ReplyDeleteDear Susas, . . . several times in your story I read the following words: "Ellen Jo Carter's Grandpa Sam Parker."
ReplyDeleteWho is Ellen Jo Carter? And who is Grandpa Sam Parker?
As to your story. It's tenderness touched me deeply.
What wonderful photographs that show two people so deeply in love--and for a lifetime. Thank you for sharing.
Peace.
That's a remarkable story (with pictures no less).
ReplyDeleteWell done.
R
Awh that's so sweet! I love the detail that they bought a bed a plough and a sewing machine, with their money too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a marvelous post. You can't beat the power of true love.
ReplyDeleteAwesome..always good to hear about successful romance stories..Nice post..well written.
ReplyDeleteWow! This is so beautiful, and you've been so blessed. My parents have an awesome love, but their parents, and their grandparents - not so much, unfortunately. However, it has made me thankful for what I have, and what my parents have, and what my in-laws have. Love is the most wonderful thing in this world.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your grandfather found love after his horrible war experience. Now that you have told about the beginning of their love, it would be fun to learn about the rest. I don't usually comment on blogs that still use the double word verification, which you have. I got rid of mine over a year ago and I have had no problems at all. Anyway, this story was so lovely, I just had to let you know.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story! Love it!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful to have such stories and pictures so we can get to know our ancestors? My own ancestors had the same "spare" beginnings. Just love. Today young people want every material thing their parents worked decades to get!
ReplyDeleteYou are so skilled, Susan, at telling stories that you've brought Grandpa and Grandma's story alive. I love Grandpa scooping her up and saying, "Marie, I want you to be my girl forever." This is my favorite line.
A lovely post. And what woman of our generation doesn't respond to the movie title, An Affair to Remember. One of my all-time favorites. SO romantic! Our ancestors knew...!!!
I love reading stories of real romance. I am fascinated by family history. Everything is so personal and much more intriguing.
ReplyDelete.........dhole
What a beautiful story! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
ReplyDeleteSo interesting. I'm trying to unravel my family history. It would be so nice to have someone to talk to who knew many of the ins and outs.
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you on Misha's blog.
That is a really interesting story man. I love long lost stories of certain tragedies in history. WW1 had some of the worst carnage in history that no one really know about.
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful that you have these pictures and the stories to go with them. Precious!
ReplyDeleteWhat a handsome couple! Sometimes you have to give fate a little push...Good your grandma did-----otherwise no telling where you'd have ended up!
ReplyDeleteMany many thanks to each one leaving a comment! Love stories need to be recorded and then passed on. I hope you all ask questions of your relatives and find out where you came from!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story. Awesome photos, too!
ReplyDelete